Great grandma's time-tested recipe for crispy, perfectly browned fried chicken. The best part: because it is adapted for the air fryer, it is healthier than its deep fried cousin!
2 lbs. imitation chicken breast halves
3 eggs, beaten (or cashew cream, see recipe below)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
¾ tsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp chili powder
- Cut chicken breasts into 1” wide strips
- Pour flour onto a large plate
- Mix breadcrumbs and seasonings together in a shallow bowl or on a second large plate
- Coat pieces of chicken in flour, dip into eggs (or cashew cream), then dredge into crumb mixture
- Heat up your air fryer to 375 degrees.
- Place a row of strips on the frying basket. Spray with a light coat of cooking spray.
- Cook sticks for 6 minutes. Open fryer to flip the strips with tongs. Continue cooking for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with honey mustard for dipping.
FOR CASHEW CREAM
Place 2 cups cashews in a bowl. Add cold water to cover. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse. Place in blender with enough cold water to cover them by 1 inch. Blend until smooth.