This ooey, gooey mozzarella stick is sure to impress. The best part: because it is air fried, it's healthier than its fried cousin! The recipe is for vegan mozzarella sticks, but you can substitute regular mozzarella for the same effect.
5 oz. vegan (or regular) mozzarella
1/4 c flour
1/4 c plus 1 tbsp corn starch
1/2 c water
1 tbsp cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 c breadcrumbs (I use panko)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
- In a wide, shallow bowl, combine ingredients for wet mix, flour through garlic powder. The consistency should be like pancake batter, so adjust if needed.
- In another wide, shallow bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and remaining spices.
- Slice vegan cheese into ½” strips.
- Lightly coat each stick with flour.
- Dredge each stick in the wet mix, then toss in bread crumbs until fully coated.
- Place sticks untouching in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Freeze for 1+ hours.
- Heat up your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place a row of sticks on the frying basket. Spray with a light coat of cooking spray.
- Cook sticks for 6 minutes. Open fryer to flip the sticks with tongs. Continue cooking for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown.
- Season with garlic salt and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.